Why should my son join Scouting?
Scouting is defined as “Fun with a Purpose!” It’s a great opportunity to meet friends, develop life and leadership skills in a fun and safe environment.
You can read more on “Why Join the Cub Scouts“.
What’s the time commitment?
- Den meetings: 1.5 hours/month
- Pack meetings: 1.5 hours/month
- Den activities (homework or field trips): 1-3 hours/month
- Overnighters: one in the fall, one in the spring
- Hikes: held approximately monthly 2-4 hours per hike
- Campouts: fall is 2 days/1 night, spring is 3 days/2 nights
- Pinewood Derby: 2 hours minimum
- Misc events like service events
What days of the week do you usually meet?
How many kids are in the same den/pack?
- For the 2015-2016 year, we had 70 Scouts in the pack.
- For the 2016-2017 year, we had 84 Scouts in the pack.
- For the 2017-2018 year, we had 92 Scouts in the pack.
- For the 2018-2019 year, we had 124 Scouts in the pack.
What do parents need to do?
- talking to Scouts about
- safety around other adults
- safety around the house
- safety online
- religion/famiy beliefs
- growing plants
- using a knife to carve (soft wood or soap)
- planning and doing chores to help the family
Is this typically a Dad and Son event?
Can kids join this summer or wait until school year begins?
If summer, what is your calendar of activities?
The school already started, can my son/daughter still join?
The registration is open a few weeks after the school started. As long as it is open, you can sign up here and wait for further communications.
If the registration is closed, you can still contact us and we will work with you to figure out options for you to decide. If you are invited by a Den Leader to join his or her Den, please ask the Den Leader to send in as a referral. Den Leaders know how to contact Pack Leaders.
If new school year, what is the calendar of activities?
- Monthly pack meetings
- Monthly hikes
- Popcorn fundraising
- Fall + Spring Overnighters
- Fall + Spring Campouts
- Service events: Red Ribbon Week, Earth Day, school cleanup, Scouting for Food, Toys for Tots, Pick Up with a Purpose
- Pinewood Derby car building and racing
- Blue + Gold Celebration (Pack Party at the school)
- Pack Picnic
- Monthly den meetings
- Homework and field trips
How much does this cost? Are there other fees/payments?
- Shirt: $25
- Belt: $10
- Neckerchief*: $9
- Slide*: $6
- Hat*: $15
- World Crest: $2
- Shoulder loops: $4
- Unit Numerals: 3*1.50 = $4.50
- Den Numerals: $1.50
- Council Patch:
- Handbook*: $13
Can Siblings join in the activities?
Yes, Cub Scouts is family oriented with siblings/parents joining in most activities (campouts, hikes, Pinewood Derby). Preference is made for Scouts where limited space is available, but siblings are very welcomed.
I don’t attend Quail Run Elementary, can I still join Pack 996?
For many reasons, including building established friendships, we highly recommend joining the local Pack associated with your school. If that’s not possible, absolutely join us! Please do let us know the reason so that we can look into fix that.